Hanging on too long makes you irrelevant. Organizations change. Leaders should change too. You may not be the best person to lead your business forward. The skills that worked yesterday may not work today or tomorrow.
Successful leaders know when to move-on. Are your strengths, the right strengths, to lead the organization tomorrow?
How does a leader know when it’s time to step down and hand over the reins? According to Bill Brandt, author of, Compass, the issues are personal and organizational.
“Servant leaders look at what’s right for the organization.”
13 Questions to know if it’s time to go:
- Have you accomplished what you wanted?
- Is this what you want to continue to do for the rest of your life?
- Is your passion shifting?
- Are you healthy enough to continue?
- Do you have other dreams?
- Are you bored?
- Are you able to continue to reinvent?
- Do you have the energy?
- Do you continue to have fresh ideas?
- Is a different skill set necessary?
- Can someone do the job better?
- Have you groomed a successor and are they ready to lead?
- Are you placing the good of the organization first?
The first step toward stepping down:
Your first decision is finding someone to help you make the decision. Find a coach or mentor you trust to give unbiased opinions and challenge your assumptions. Find this person before making any decisions. The individual should not be associated with the organization.
Qualities to look for in a mentor or coach:
- Can look at what’s best for you and the organization
- See all alternatives and solutions
- Validate your decision
The most important question a leader should ask is: Are you placing the good of the organization first? This is what leadership is all about.
As a leader, what questions resonate with you?
Are there other questions you should be asking? Why?
P.S.- If this article resonated with you, then perhaps I can help? I am a proven CEO, a certified board director and an executive business coach who offers a free Entrepreneur Weakness Assessment to see if you are ready to take your business to the next level. To learn more, click the button below.